Friday, July 27, 2007

Our visit to the Vets

I noticed the other day that Toff was licking her back paw a lot; I tried to look but she really yelped. then I clipped away the hair to expose what looked like a deep hole like a tooth bite on one of her toes. It was red and swollen. She had a very bad paw once before, it was a corn type spike embedded in her flesh.

As money is very tight we decided that we would treat it with the same iodine we had left over from her last visit. She stopped yelping when we touch it, and it was looking better so we thought we had it licked (or Toff had anyway he he)

This morning I decided to clip the dogs and bath them. I started really early as it gets well over 100 degrees after 10.30 until about 7pm. I decided to start with Toff, she is the biggest so therefore a lot more work but very easy and well behaved compared to little Giz who is scared stiff and wingy :O) . See how laid back she is :O)


Once I started on her back paw I noticed that although it seemed much more comfortable for her it was forming puss, I gently squeezed it and it oozed out, Although we would have preferred to treat her ourselves to save the money, we decided she needed to go and see her favourite vet after all!

I have taken some photos as I thought you may be interested

As soon as they saw the front of the building the shivering started! They sort of pull behind as we enter.
Once we had given our name, we wondered about looking at all the little animals they have for sail. This sort of tricks the girls into thinking they are not going to that nasty old room after all.
Oops someone called Toffia, who was that, in we go daddy, aren't we brave then! Oh no, that smell again, that room. Let us go home Mum!

Our usual favourite man vet had finished for the day, we were very disappointed to be seeing someone else, we eventually saw this beautiful Spanish girl, she spoke broken English with a lovely accent that just added to her attraction, she was a truly beautiful and gentle person too.

She took a look at her paw whilst I held a quivering Toff. She said straight away “She is a corn head into the flesh of the toe yes, I make her sleepy to how you say ‘pick her out of flesh with the tweezers’ I pulled a face as I hate them being put to sleep, I am sooo scared they will not wake again! She smiled at me and said “she is good brave dog yes?” I said she is very good, why? "Shall I try to pick out with cuddles and no sleepy, yes?" I said “ Yes please,we can but try” Well you can see by my face that I was hurting as bad as Toff was, she had this sort of warning low quite growl going the whole time! Whilst the vet whispered sweet nothings to her in Spanish the whole time



We decided we would not mind her treating Toff and Giz in the future if our man is not available.

She was squeezing the toe when suddenly this thing shot out like an arrow making both of us jump! Toff reached out to try to smell what had just shot in front of her!! Was it food! He he

I think it made the vet jump as much as me :O)

Once the grass was out, she shot iodine and water into the hole to clean it, and then gave Toff an injection right in the hole UGH! Poor Toff, she was so good.

She gave me a tube of cream with a long thin nozzle that I have to insert into the hole and squeeze. She said it will have to heal from inside out. She also gave a pack of tablet's, she has to take ½ twice a day for ten days.

Whilst we were there we thought we may as well get their anal glands done, a horrid job for that pretty vet.

With her paw better, bums clean, they both virtually ran out with tails wagging.We presented the slip of paper that has the treatment written on with a code so we did not know the damage yet. 20 Euros! I am amazed each time I get a bill. This is about £17.

We took the two dogs to a vet to have their glands done in England on our last trip, and it cost £15.00 each! We had the same treatment as well as all Toffs for just £17.00 total.

I have managed to give her the cream trying very hard not to close my eyes from the site of this thing going into her poor hole. She was good with Dave holding her.

Tina Spain.

4 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Ooh! too much information :O( Poor little thing.

£17 is cheap but I am really grateful for our PDSA all the treatment needed, including major stuff, for whatever you can afford to put in the box!

granny grimble said...

Poor little girl, wasn't she brave. It's the owners who quiver and shake and get upset, isn't it. Willum goes in for his op on Monday, and we are both dreading him being put out while they do it.
He is so trusting and laid back I feel that I am deceiving him! I do wish girlie better quickly, at least her bum smells nice now!

Croom said...

he he,
I feel the same way when ever one of ours is anaesthetised, they look straight at you so sort of trusting with those big brown or green eyes most animals have.

when ever they have given Toffee or Gizzie back in the state of unconsciousness I just hate it. They take two long to come round too as they are very small dogs.

I do wish your baby well and I shall be praying for Willum and his very speedy recovery. He is not a baby anymore so spoil him rotten afterwards. Tinaxx

weechuff said...

What a nice interesting blog you are doing Tina. Especially after all the false starts! I have been busy today, but will try and update my blog tomorrow if I get time.