Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Blue lagoon part one

Hi everyone,

We are home from our day out, the men are slowly getting pie eyed in the garden, well in fact they have just gone across the road to get chips and Jay says if she knows Brian, they will be drinking Guinness whilst they wait! At the take a way’s in Spain the men go alone as they are always offered a drink whilst they wait!! I have returned to this bit to let you know that they are still not home!

PS We know they cook fresh chips BUT…..

PPS they have just walked across (well swayed across) about one hour later! Balancing the chips between them! What a sight, they will be suffering tomorrow ;O)

Our day was fantastic, if a bit scary! Brian took us to this fantastic place where the lake’s are a colour that you would say “Oh yea” if you saw it in a painting. I cannot describe it to you,


Parts are the most beautiful green whilst other parts are Turquoise, and others are the most beautiful light teal. We have many photos for you but will only put a few on this; the remainder may have to go on a slide show if we can do it. Anyway the scary bit came on the way home so I will tell you about that in part two.
We took the long scenic way round, so it took about one hour to arrive, but you can do it in about twenty minutes usually।

After we arrived, Jeanette and I decided to cross the barrier to get closer and admire the view (needless to say it was a main road) the photos will show you what Brian thought of us skipping the barrier,
skipping was hardly what we did though! . I was wearing a long straight skirt (not good for cocking ones leg as you will see). It took me some time to get over but once I did a full hand clap resounded, I looked up sheepishly to find a group of men a little way up the road clapping me! Jeanette positively hopped over!! I personally think she was showing off in front of these rather dishy men.
After the utter shock of the colour of the lakes, (Jeanette and Brian had already seen them last week) but for Dave and I it was Awesome, we set up our table for the picnic, well it was more than a picnic I would say, Jeanette had done us proud।



We had a lunch fit for a queen. After we had eaten and tidied away we decided to get closer to the lakes for some photos. Just a few here, we will try to do a photo slide show later. I am frightened as you all know of water but this was very inviting, especially as the temperature was scorching, our clothes stuck to us as if we had already taken a swim. 34.7 Outside and rising! Phew didn't we know it, our hair was stuck flat to our heads!
The lake is full of fish; we were up very high when this photo was taken. I hope you can just about see him!


Brian found out the story of the lakes, it used to be a village called la pedrera In Franco’s time. The irrigation of the land was very poor, the dictator Franco decided it needed a lake, as the village lay in a valley it was the most appropriate place for it. There were about 17 dwelling in this tiny village. The village was notified that they had to clear all their belongings as they were about to be re housed and their village flooded! I hope they were happy about getting a new house rather then devastated to be loosing theirs.
Franco declared that the people of the area would never go hungry again; he filled the lake with hundreds of fish and decreed that all Spanish people could fish the lake without a licence and eat all that they could catch! (All other fresh water lakes needs a licence and the fish caught must be replaced)

Jeannette says that there is a village near Sheffield, up in the dales that this happened to. Jeanette saw the tops of the houses in 1976 (The hot summer) the water had dropped so much. People were taking photos of the roof tops!

Going back to our lake, it is hard to imagine that under all that beautiful blue green water lays a village. Brian dived down and he said you could actually see the tables set for dinner ;O) oops this must be a fib as Jeanette has just said that Brian would panic as soon as water reached his belly button!

As this blog is getting a little long we had better put it into two episodes. More tomorrow.
Tina & Jay x
Spain


5 comments:

granny grimble said...

Wow! That is awsome Tina. What beautiful colours the water is. I was surprised to see you in a skirt Tina. Have you at last listened to your big sister? I see that, even in your blog, you are still tempting us with devastating news and then not giving out! I will wait eagerly to find out the terrible part of your story. Don't leave it for days though. That looked like a lovely picnic that Jeanette served up. What a good friend that is!

Croom said...

Hi Leeta and all,

Just to let you know that the blog is from Jay as well as myself. She is sitting next to me. It would be silly repeats if we both done one. We will write part two, tomorrow. Tina & Jay

weechuff said...

What an interesting tale! The water looks lovely doesn't it? How nice to have a nice long blog with plenty of photo's. I will come back tomorrow for another look, and hopefully the remainder of the story! I have to be up early, because we leave at 9.45a.m. for Sindie's hospital appointment to have her Herceptin. Thank you both for the story so far:0)

Babs (Beetle) said...

Well it does look beautiful! There is only one negative thing as far as I'm concerned and that is the heat. I went to sit in the garden Sunday with Mo and had to come in after about 20 minutes because it was too hot for me. I think if I lived in Spain I would stay in the cool of my house and become a hermit ;O)

It does look like you had a wonderful time though.

Gary said...

Wowee! Can you swim in the lake? I'd be in there like a shot, you wouldn't be able to keep me out!