Friday, August 10, 2007

Our Jorney to a new life. Part two


I am sorry, for some reason it will not save any paragraphs. It is grouping it together. I know this makes it hard to read. I have tried several times now. It looks good each time I go back to edit. I have made the gaps very large but it still puts it back without the gaps.
.
I am sooo clever, I have thought of putting a false stop where I want a paragraph, this surely must give me a gap as it is the same as a line of text. Fingers crossed, I shall see once I post :O) Yes it has worked but for some reason the dots have not stayed in the centre in all cases, and different sizes...Strange, they are all the same on the post...
.


Taken from across the road on top floor of villa park three


The right side of house, just beyond the blue table is a bench that sits under the large olive tree that Dave loves so much.


The left side where I like to sit reading. just behind my table is the lemon tree and beyond that the orange tree.

.

The story continues.....

.
We arrived to the coldest weather Spain had experienced for over forty years! It was windy, raining and freezing.

.

It was nearly Christmas and we had no bed, no saucepans, no kettle no settee and no blankets! All we had was the glass table and four chairs they had left us! Our furniture was not due for another day. They had also left two single beds upstairs but no blankets or pillows. We were starving and freezing, what ever had we done.

.

We went out by foot in search of some where we could eat. We found a little place that sold a very large chicken and chips (half a chicken in fact). We ate all we could and brought the rest back for later. We slept upstairs with our coat wrapped round us freezing to death. These houses are made to keep cool not warm!

.
The next morning we picked up our hired car and made for the airport to pick up our darling dogs from the plane, we were bursting to get them. We were shown to the side entrance where large items are taken from the cargo planes. We watched until we saw a plane land, eventually we saw the conveyor belt bring lots of animal cages off, the men just almost tossed them from the belt to the big fork truck things, we were the only people there to pick up their pets, I do not know why.

.
Anyway the men disappeared and left all the kennels on the forklift truck, as there was no one around and we could not get to them to peek I decided to call them. As soon as I called “Where are my babies” something I have always said to them on arriving home etc. the barking and crying started, I recognised there bark straight away, we knew what kennel they were in as it started to rock as they scratched and jumped to get out.

.
Eventually a man arrived at a large window in the wall and speaking in Spanish of course (the second of many confusing conversations we were to have) the first being last night trying to order something to eat!

.
He eventually brought the large kennel holding both dogs to us and disappeared, what were we to do, just take the dogs out and go. They were just crying pitifully so we opened the door and let them out. What excitement and love was had by all. We waited nearly one hour before someone came so we could return the kennel (we did not want to be charged for it if it went missing) to our surprise we eventually understood that the kennel was ours to keep! We still have it upstairs on the sunroof filled with tools.

.
We were to live in the state of cold hunger and disappointment for a further week as our furniture did not arrive until one week after we arrived. I cannot tell you how cold we were, no carpets anywhere, the bathroom was freezing and our breath looked like smoke every time we took a shower. We did not have any bath towels either, they had left a couple of hand towels clean and fresh in the bathroom upstairs, thank heavens for small mercies.

.
Hurrah our furniture arrived on 29th November; at least we would be OK for Christmas, that was a laugh.

.
This house has a large front room come diner, yet the packing cases filled it to the ceiling, every tiny inch was smothered in boxes. We just did not know where to start, we could not get to the boxes they had unpacked first, and they had packed them neatly one on top of the other row after row. We had something in the region of 45 boxes.

.
We had tried to sort them as they brought them in but they could not understand a single word and totally ignored our requests to look at the writing I had put on each one. I.e.: bedroom... kitchen... etc.

.
It was to be a few weeks before we found the saucepans and blanket etc. We ate out at that little restaurant for a good while until we got ourselves straight, it was warm and welcoming. The husband and wife that ran it were always so pleased to see us and often gave us a sweet free. We found out later, much later that their garden backs onto ours!!!

.
I took photos of all the boxes and the dogs in the kennel from the plane, I have put the CD in but they are all just squares that will not open :O( I can only assume it was because I wrote the CD on my Mac. I do not know. So no photos I am afraid.
.
On December the 23rd Dave looked inside the little post box we had in the front garden, to our surprise we had a letter! It was addressed to us both so we rushed in and settled down to read it. From the moment we read it until three days after Christmas we walked around in utter fear.

.
It was from the man that had showed us around the house with Doug and Liz, he had taken us to the Escutoria and made a lot of arrangements for us. He was the one that had been the go between with the German couple that sold it and Dave and I. We liked him a lot, he had been a great help.

.
Well this letter said we owed him several thousand pounds for his services (I cannot remember the exact amount) and as we had ignored his requests for it, as in Spanish law he had put a chain on the house, it no longer belonged to us and when we left it, it would be locked and barred from our re entrée. I cannot remember now what it said exactly (We still have it though)

.

We spoke to someone we had met whilst walking the dogs and he said that this is normal practice and unless we paid we would have the house taken from us. We could not get in touch with the solicitor that had dealt with the sale as it was Christmas. That man completely ruined our first Christmas in Spain. Dave was sick to the stomach the whole time; needless to say we did not have several thousands of pounds to give him.

.
The weather continued to freeze our bums off, and we continued to wonder what on earth we had done.............................. More tomorrow

.

.

.

This is now my arts and craft room, photos later
.

7 comments:

granny grimble said...

How comes I didn't know anything about all this at the time? What a disaster it all sounds. I bet at the time you wished you'd stayed in Essex! Please send lots of interior photos of the house. The exterior ones are lovely. I wish I could see it in the flesh. When I'm a floaty ghost I will come and visit, if you are still there! Whose bedroom is that? Is is your visitors spare room? I expected it to be up to the ceiling with boxes, and cases, and clothes! That's what you always tell us. Hurry up with more blog an piccies, I'm enjoying it very much.

Babs (Beetle) said...

What a nightmare? The bad photos has nothing to do with writing them on a Mac. Mac & PC are totally compatible when it comes to photos, music and DVD. maybe you're not ha ha ha!

The house looks lovely outside :O)

weechuff said...

Deary, deary me! What a nightmare! Leeta is right, none of us knew anything of all this. It is so lovely to see your house at last. I don't know why you have never showed us before. It is a very posh looking house from the outside, and the inside is too, from what we have seen:0) I can't wait for the next instalment. I would never have moved to another country without sussing it out over a month or two, to find out about the health service, and house buying/selling laws etc., I think you were so lucky to end up happy like you are, because you took an enormous risk I think:0) Don't forget some more tonight please, this is a smashing blog!#

Sandie - UK

weechuff said...

What a clever idea about the full stop. I was able to do paragraphs with my first blog, but since then, as I explained in my blog, I could not get paragraphs to stay where I put them. They just jumped back again. I shall copy you if I have any further problems:0)
Sandie UK

granny grimble said...

I'd like to see things like the kitchen and the famous marble stairs and flooring. Sounds like a mansion! Do you have fairy lights in your garden at night?

Croom said...

Yes we do Leeta, the olive tree is full of them.

The kitchen is a very small dingy thing, most are in Spain, as it is normal to eat out side and not cook in the kitchen.

I shall take some photos tomorrow but it is not posh, we live in it after all, it is mostly overcrowded with the same old furniture we have had years :O)

Gary said...

I am enjoying your tales of isfirtune enormously...that doesn't sound good does it, but you know what I mean! None of us ever knew all these horror stories. What an absolute nightmare. Your house is absolutely gorgous though and I can see why you love it so much. :0)