Friday, August 3, 2007

Tip runs

Hi

Thought I would show you what Dave got from the tip runs, this is especially for you Poo to look at.
They came from the restaurant across the road. The large brown wooden box was full of , brown and white sugar packets, also sweetener powder (showing in the photo) any takers :O) The sugar we have made use of. The two boxes above had a very large bottle of champagne in them...empty!
For those of you that do not understand what I mean by 'tip runs' I will explain. In Spain they have a fantastic idea.

With the very hot weather, bins are not kept in the house, nor do we have dustbins, you dispose of the waste into the communal carts as and when you get it. In most houses you see a carrier bag hooked up somewhere in the kitchen and this is filled and emptied whenever you are going out.

3 We have very large bins which are parked usually within a five minute walk from any house (ours is just a few seconds down the road) There is a place next to the carts for a ‘Take it if you need it’

Anything you no longer need, be it clothes, furniture, electrical goods, even fruit and food that have grown in abundance in gardens or groves, in fact just about anything will be found there waiting for a good home. Dave does the ‘Tip runs’ regularly along with lots of others people :O)

You do have to be quick and lucky. What isn’t taken by the end of the day (about 1.30 am) is taken away with the rubbish to keep the streets tidy. Our home is practically made up from these ‘gifts’.
Tina Spain

6 comments:

weechuff said...

How exciting, and what a nice way to get rid of stuff you no longer need, so that other people may benefit. That brown box looks very nice. How big is it?

granny grimble said...

Yes this tip run that Dave does is very like out FreeCycle, isn't it? It's so much nice to recycle than just throw things away. Not having a car makes it all a bit one sided for us, but I still like giving, which I do quite a lot. Wouldn't ou mum have loved it!! That box the polished one, looks lovely Tina. I expect you can find a use for it in your craft room.

Jeanette Spain said...

When we took the bath out to put the shower in Dave and Brian took it to the bins 30 secs. away came back for the beday and when they took it over the bath was gone.
We did not see it go it was that quick.
Jeanette Spain

Croom said...

Sandie:
19” x 13” depth 6”

Leeta:
Yes I shall definitely find something to put in it in my craft room. I shall put all my tools in the larger of the other boxes. It has a rope handle to pull it out from under bed and a sliding lid.

21" x 7.1/2 depth 7" so it is also a very n ice size.

Babs (Beetle) said...

Well our Freecycle is OK but I haven't had a lot of joy with having my emails answered so I gave up again. Too many emails daily for my liking.

Surely you never know what time of day somebody will drop something in the tip so you would have to keep going throughout the day ha ha!

Gary said...

I love that idea! I'd be camped there with a flask of tea and a sun chair!!!